Tuesday, October 7, 2008

my new job...

As of September 25, I am officially the new job coach for the Northwest Indiana Special Education Cooperative (NISEC). I never really had an interview with the people at NISEC, I basically just sat down with a room full of ladies one afternoon and they spouted off numerous jobs that I could have, I just needed to pick one. I decided to go with the job that was described to me as “a very independent job that will never bore you. It’s something different every day...”. Some people are just dishonest or have a totally different idea of ‘not boring’ than I do. In a nutshell, I work with mentally handicapped high schoolers who have ‘jobs’ out in the community. I will eventually be driving the ‘special’ bus to transport the kids to their jobs and then I watch them work. The jobs I coach them in range from counting out 5 coupons to shredding paper, all the way up to wiping tables at McDonalds. I should probably add that the title coach doesn’t really fit what I’m doing. I would say that my main focus is to keep the kids in line and make sure they don’t hurt themselves or destroy anything while doing their designated tasks. Coaching is only half of my job description. The rest of my time is spent at the high school. I occasionally wander around the ginormous high school looking for students who need to turn in their timesheets for work study, but mostly I sit in a small office shuffling around papers trying to look busy. So far, I think that I’m quite successful at what I do.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

enjoy telling the stories while you can!!! love to "hear" from you.... i could almost hear your voice through the words you typed... miss you! see you soon :-)